Why did the great journeys of exploration occur?
HISTORY YEAR 4
• First contacts
Case Study Resources
- Interactive website
- Print Resources (PDF)
- Worksheets (DOC)
- High Quality Video
Case Study Overview
In this part of your course you are investigating some of the great explorations in world history. During the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries there was a great outbreak of exploration from Europe to unknown areas of the world.
- Why did this happen?
- What was it like to be an explorer then, going into the unknown?
- What were they looking for?
The activities in this unit will help you to answer these questions about an explorer that you choose to research for your final presentation.
But before you choose your own explorer to investigate, let’s explore the adventures of a very important explorer in world history – Christopher Columbus! This will help you when you begin your own research on the explorer of your choice.
This unit of study is presented as a website which includes interactive elements, videos, PDF and worksheets (in Word Doc format). The unit is compatible with computers and iPads.
Case Study unit of work inquiry structure
- Activity 1 Who was the explorer?
- Activity 2 When did he explore?
- Activity 3 What is his story?
- Activity 4 Where did he want to go?
- Activity 5 How did he navigate?
- Activity 6 What was shipboard life like?
- Activity 7 Did the exploration impact on indigenous people?
- Activity 8 What impacts did the exploration have?
- Activity 9 Bringing it all together
- Activity 10 Research another explorer