Demo Case Study for Primary Students
Why did Europeans settle in Australia?
Case Study Overview
In this unit you will find out why England decided to settle Australia and why the First Fleet sailed here in 1788 with more than 1000 convicts and marine guards on board.
You will 'meet' some of the 'First Fleeters' and discover who they were, what they did to be sent to Australia, what the voyage was like and what happened to them when they came to this new and very strange land.
This is an exciting journey of discovery!
Case Study unit of work inquiry structure (pdf)
- Activity 1 Why did the First Fleet journey to Australia?
- Activity 2 Life in England in the 1780s — A story
- Activity 3 Life in England in the 1780s — Pictures
- Activity 4 Meet the First Fleet convicts
- Activity 5 Life on board
- Activity 6 Trace the journey of the First Fleet
- Activity 7 Life in the new colony of New South Wales
- Activity 8 Test your knowledge
Note: This unit can be viewed on iPads. It does not require Flash.
HISTORY YEAR 4
• First Contacts
HISTORY YEAR 5
• The Australian Colonies
This unit of study is presented as a website which includes interactive elements, videos, PDF and worksheets (in Word Doc format). The unit is compatible with computers and iPads.