What are the Mysteries of Lake Mungo? Case Studies
FOR PRIMARY STUDENTS
HISTORY YEAR 3
• Community and Rememberance
HISTORY YEAR 4
• First Contacts
Case Study Resources
- Teacher Guide
- Print Resources (PDF)
- Interactive (iPad Compatible)
- Downloadable High Quality Video
Case Study Overview
There are many mysteries associated with the famous Lake Mungo archaeological site in southern NSW that will help students to explore important issues about ancient Australian history. Some of these are: How old are the Lake Mungo people and how do we know? Why were Mungo Lady and Mungo Man buried in these ways? What was life at Lake Mungo like? What should be done with the Lake Mungo human remains? And many more. This new case study help students to understand what Lake Mungo was, and how it became what it is today.
An interactive entitled, Can you protect Lake Mungo, is also available for this case study.
Case Study unit of work inquiry structure (pdf)
- Teacher's Guide
- Activity 1: A ‘virtual visit’ to Lake Mungo
- Activity 2: What is Lake Mungo and where is it?
- Activity 3: When were the earliest people at Lake Mungo?
- Activity 4: How do archaeologists find out about the past?
- Activity 5: Who were ‘Mungo Lady’ and ‘Mungo Man’?
- Activity 6: How were lunettes formed?
- Activity 7: What happened to the megafauna at Lake Mungo?
- Activity 8: What was life like for Mungo Lady and Mungo Man?
- Activity 9: Interviewing the Mungo people
About the Interactive
Can you protect Lake Mungo
Your task is to decide on how to protect Lake Mungo National Park in 10 different scenarios.
Note: This interactive can be viewed on iPads. It does not require Flash.